Monday 10 January 2011

Evaluation One: In What Ways Does Your Media Product Use, Develop or Challenge Forms of Real Media Products?


My media product follows the conventions of music video by creating a digipak that links with the video, as well as a magazine advert. 

The ideas for my video, challenge the typical conventions of the media products becasue there is more a bit more kissing than should have been. As the target audience are between 10 years old and more. 
I was influenced and inspired by music videos (below) that I watched which used various original ideas and shots. For example, I wanted to make the video feel like it was telling a story love- by the use of the book at the beginning (above). The audience I am aiming at will be intrigued by  the story of young love that develops as the videos goes on. 





This video has me discussing why I chose these video (below) as my influences. 

Bruno Mars 'Just the way you are?'

Natahsa Bedingfield 'These Words'

Eliza Doolittle 'Pack Up'

Savage Garden 'Truly Madly Deeply' 

Sonny and Cher 'I got you babe'  

Beyonce 'Crazy in Love

Nelly Furtado 'I'm like a bird'

                                                 





The two stills (above) shows the direct link of using flowers to illustrate love.



My artist having a flower in her hair like Natasha Bedingfield, which links with the video's concept of 'nature' and has a clear link the mise en scene.




The stills (above) shows that I adapted Nelly Furtado 'I am like a bird' and  Leona Lewis's video 'Forgive Me', shows that my artist took the theme to be outdoors having a happy facial expression to coincide with the theme of the song being outside. This conveys my video following the convention of being outside highlighting the theme of summer love.



Similarity between Eliza Doolittle and Emily Bloom is that they both sing around and about. I used this idea to show the realism of my artist being in love, like Eliza songs about packing up her troubles and expressing her love for her partner more, freely. 


I was influenced by the colour scheme 'Marina and the Diamonds' 'Oh No!', green, yellow and orange. Though, I initally had this in mind I changed orange to white in the background because in my digipak (below) there is a pattern of flowers, which would be overpowered by the strong colour of orange. 


Leona Lewis 'Forgive Me' challenges my digipak by having the font larger as the primary focus of the CD cover. Whereas, my digipak the photo of the artist is vital because seeing the person will link to the same person in the video. This will encourage people to buy it than remembering the name. 

I used the floral background in Nelly Furtado's digipak links to my digipak having patterned flowers behind the artist.

The convention of my digipak followed the convention of close up- Beyonce's 'Crazy in love' is similar as the pose (above) has a strong likeness to Beyonce's, which dominates most of the CD cover.

Like 'Sonny and Cher' 'I got you babe'  uses two colours (yellow and white) and fonts. This differs to the fonts in my didgipak by having the font larger as the primary focus. I used that concept but my font was 'Chalkduster' (below) and all my texts was in yellow.
The Saturdays use their website 'The Saturdays.Co.Uk' to advertise their music but makes their audience want to find out more about them, which I found original- slightly unusual. I liked it and use it, however I do not make it as prominent in my advert as the Saturdays did.


I used the mid shot of Pixie Lott being kissed on the forehead by a boy is an intertextual reference. I used this to show a strong link of their relationship, which Katherine and Damon reinact in my music video. 




1 comment:

  1. Hello Julie
    A good start to answering question 1. Just a couple of comments: some of the influences that you refer to aren't 'conventions' of music videos - for example, using a flower isn't a convention of a music video, it's just a style idea that one or two artists have used in their videos. Be clear what is a convention (i.e. something you expect to find in all music videos from that genre) and what is a style idea that is specific to a particular artist of video. There are several ocassions where you've done this.
    Otherwise this response is looking good so far.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete